Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It's been a while

My apologies for being absent for a while. Life has been a whirlwind of emotion for me lately. Last weekend my husband and I took off to Canada to see visit my Pepere who was in the hospital. It was the first time Tony got to meet him, and the last time I would ever see him alive. The following Tuesday my dad contacted me to let me know Pepere had passed away. So on Wednesday we packed and headed to Canada for the second time in one week. Friday morning, while still in Canada, I found out from my mom that my great aunt (Aunt Marie) had been taken by ambulance to the hospital I work at, and had been admitted. The next night, after my Pepere's funeral, my mom got another call from family back here at home. My Aunt Marie had been diagnosed with colon and lung cancer and that she doesn't want any treatment. She wants to go to a nursing home, live out her days, and go home to God. The following day, Tony gets a call from his family only to find out that his grandmother had just been diagnosed with liver and lung cancer. She is in good spirits though. She just recently battled breast cancer and she's ready for another fight. But honestly, how much more bad news can one person handle?! I suppose the old saying when it rains, it pours is true.
At some point my grandparents, my mom, and myself (and maybe a couple other sets of hands if I can round them up) have to go to my aunt's house and remove anything and everything valuable. Whenever it is that she does go to a nursing home, they will have all rights to her house and anything inside. I think that's crazy. But then again, I don't exactly understand how or why it is that the nursing home will own everything she has. I don't know when I am going to be able to help them. I go back to school tonight, and back to work tomorrow. I have a really full schedule, but I know I need to be there for my family as well. It's so hard to focus on anything right now. The one thing that does stand out in my head, though, is a quote from Mother Teresa, "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."

No comments:

Post a Comment