Thursday, February 4, 2010

New year, new goals, new blog

I've decided to stop blogging on my other account. I am still a very proud army wife and I always will be. I have just decided to do something new. As of last month I finally got my butt back into college. And this time I plan to stay in college. No one to two year breaks in between. I have new goals and dreams. I still want to get my nursing degree, but I just want to do something different with it. For a while I thought the ER would be it for me. That I had finally found something that makes me happy. I don't mind the ER at all, I do love it, but I am a definate adrenaline junky. And the ER does not give me my fix every day that I am there. I want to work for a med-flight company. Saving lives on the chopper. The more I think about it, the more I want it! But I know that once I get my nursing degree, I need atleast five years of ER or critical care RN experience. It's kind of discouraging only because I want this so badly and I don't want to wait five years before I can apply for med-flight. I want to do it now!
So this where the new blog comes into play. My dad actually mentioned it to me the other day. I guess he saw the whole blogging experience in the movie "Julie and Julia." I have yet to see the movie, but I figured I'd give this back to school blog thing a shot. And then maybe I will have my little brother help me turn this bad boy into a book. Depending how successful I am at this, of course. Right now I feel like I barely have to breathe. And I'm only taking two classes. It may not seem like a lot, but I'm still working forty hours a week in the ER as well. My weeks are very repetitive lately. Working every other weekend, monday, wednesday, and friday. Tuesdays and thursdays consist of waking up much earlier than I would like to do on a day off from work and cramming every last bit of statistics and/or anatomy and physiology that I possibly can before being stuck in classes from 3pm until 9pm.
My statistics teacher isn't all that great. He's a great guy and all, but in my opinion, if you're going to teach statistics then atleast take a statistics class yourself. He informed us all on the first day of class that he has never taken a stats class in his life. And it shows. I feel like I would be better off not showing up for class, unless it's for a quiz or exam, and just reading the book at home according to the syllabus.
Anatomy and physiology is definately more my cup of tea. But, WOW! Holy memorization! That stuff is dry, dry, dry! I don't really care about protons and monosaccharides. I wish we'd get to the good stuff already! I want to dissect in the worst way! I'm that seems a little morbid to most, but come on now! I work in an ER. I've seen a total arm degloving, a saw sticking out of someone's chest, and held a person's brain in their head! I'm just a hands on kind of girl. I learn better that way. And it's a lot more interesting than sitting through the lecture days and taking notes for three hours straight! And not to mention I have to rewrite all my notes when I get home so I can decipher my chicken scratch before I forget exactly what it is that I had to frantically jot down before it got erased from the board.
Sometimes I wish that I didn't go back to school, but I know I need to get it done. If I ever want to get anywhere or do something with my life, it's now or never. I must commit to excellence!

2 comments:

  1. WTG Stacie!!! Hey I popped your blog comment cherry!! Ha ha! I love it, and can't wait for more to come!!! Keep it up. Little steps girl, take one day at a time, it all adds up to a great goal! I'm proud you chose nursing as a career goal, I truly love being a nurse, although there are some days I would trade it to be oh say, working for an office having a desk job, but overall I really like it! And you'd make the perfect med flight nurse coz of your size lol!!!

    Anywho, congrats on the blog...I just happened to see it posted on my wall, had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your career choice. You care about people and have compassion for others like your mother. This will seem like a long and difficult road at times. But always remember your goals. You can do this as long as your mind and heart keep you focused. Do not get discouraged as you will look back on this experience with pride and a sense of accomplishment once you are finished. Good luck and stay focused.

    ReplyDelete