Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Broken heart syndrome

I've been forcing myself to roll out of bed around 5 in the AM everyday, regardless if I am working or have the day off.  I need to get into a solid sleep schedule before school starts in six days.  My new morning routine consits of gulping down a few cups of coffee (which isn't all that new) while sitting on the front steps watching the sun come up from across the street. 

The sunrise is nothing spectacular this morning (compared to the one in the picture from a few days ago) and damn is it cold out!  I guess when summer gets ready to leave us it doesn't waste any time at all!

As I sit here, shivering and gulping, I can't help but think of the events that unfolded at work last week.  In seven days, we had three cases of takotsubo cardiomyopathy!  And I can't help but wonder if I'm on my way towards the same thing.  In a nutshell, for all of you non-medical readers, takotsubo cardiomyopathy mimics a heart attack on an EKG.  We rush patients to the cardiac cath lab only to find out that their arteries are clear as day and their EKG changes were caused by stress.  This condition is also known as "broken heart syndrome" and it can cause a person to go into cardiac arrest if left undetected and untreated.  So when we're all getting overwhelmed with life and start muttering to ourselves 'this stress is going to be the death of me' or 'this stress is killing me' we are absolutely correct and need to simmer down!  I will be the first to admit that I have no clue how to relax when things get stressful.  And this blog is proof of that.  Or maybe this blog is my escape and that's why I haven't dropped dead yet from a broken heart?  Instead, I just drop to an unhealthy weight and my hair starts falling out.  I guess if that's the worst that will happen to me throughout nursing school then I'm doing alright.  Although I can't be off to a great start if today is only orientation and I already want to throw up.  I'm sure I will be fine once school actually starts and I make it through the first week or two.




"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -Franklin D. Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment