Sunday, August 28, 2011

Irene has arrived.

There is quite the disturbance, this morning, in my usual routine.  Instead of sipping my coffee and watching the sunrise, I am sipping my coffee, staring at the colorless sky, and watching as we get nailed with the outer bands of hurricane Irene. 


I stayed up until 2 AM watching the weather channel so I decided to not set my alarm for 5am.  I woke up on my own around 8 this morning.  The rain was barely coming down at that time which allowed me to wander outside and snap a quick picture of my biggest concern during this storm.


The tall trees, up on the hill, behind our home.  Tony and I get worried, sometimes, even during a nasty routine thurnderstorm.  So, with winds from a hurricane/tropical storm, my concerns are justified.  I still have my doubts about exactly how bad this storm is going to be and the damage it may bring.  However, we still developed a plan incase one of those trees does happen to come down on our home.  We parked my car in the garage, and if things start getting really ugly around here, we will put the dogs in their kennel and camp out in my car.  I know, it sounds a little silly even to me.  But I suppose it beats hanging out in the living room, which is where the damage will occur by one of those trees if it falls.  I guess what's even more silly are the things that Tony and I packed away in the car.  Our school books.  We're ridiculous, right?  But those books were not cheap at all.  If a tree falls through our roof, things are going to get soaked in here.  School may be canceled for tomorrow, but not for the rest of the semester.  We don't have the $800+ to replace books.
So far, atleast ten deaths have been reported, due to hurricane Irene.  My heart aches for the family and friends of those people.  One death was a little eleven year old boy, a tree fell on his home and killed him.  Also, a woman was killed when a tree came down her car.  This means that despite my doubts and reservations, regarding this storm, I am still cautious.  So, as for me and my family, there will be no driving around to sight see and take pictures.  We will continue snuggling on the couch unless things get bad.


(Simba is always there to love and comfort Bam)





(Little brother watching over his big brother)


(And of course, Sadie girl snuggles with her daddy)


No comments:

Post a Comment