Sunday, September 11, 2011

No title is necessary.



I can remember exactly where I was ten years ago.  Sitting in my Comprehensive American Studies Class.  Who doesn't remember where they were or what they were doing?  I remember the classroom I was in, the layout of the room, my teachers, and the students.  Ask anyone, of appropriate age, what they were doing on this day, ten years ago and I will put money on it that they can give exact details.  I suppose what I'm getting at is why do we need all these pictures and logos that say Never Forget?  How do you forget such a horrible thing?  We are all tied to the actual 9/11 event in one way or another, including myself.  I didn't know anyone who died that day nor was I there to see it with my own eyes.  I wasn't tied to the event until five years later when I was preparing to marry a soldier.  When the anniversary of 9/11 rolls around each year, it's the victims, the firefighters, and the police officers that are talked about.  I'm not knocking their right to be honored by any means.  However, wasn't a war declared shortly after?  What about those men and women?  I spent the first year of my marriage alone because of 9/11.  And many families have lost loved ones over seas because of 9/11.  There's been times when I have over heard people talking and one says, "Oh yeah, I forgot that there is a war going on."  I should probably make my point before this post becomes controversial.  Today, when you take a moment of silence to honor all the lives that were lost ten years ago, please take an extra moment of silence to honor our military.. those who have served in the past, those who are presently serving, and those who will serve in the future.  They don't deserve any less honor just because they did not die on 9/11/01.




No comments:

Post a Comment